How do we work with older adults with substance misuse problems?
“Do not go gentle…”, a one-day conference hosted by Drink Wise Age Well and DACW (Developing a Caring Wales) on Wednesday, 24 January 2018 at Cardiff City Stadium aims to explore this important issue.
The conference is aimed at professionals, practitioners, policy makers and interested others to explore how we can better recognise and respond to the needs of this age group.
Alongside an ageing population we are seeing an increase in alcohol consumption in the Over 50’s age group, coupled with the use of prescribed medication and illicit drug use.
The Welsh Government’s Advisory Panel on Substance Misuse produced a report in February 2017 on Substance Misuse in an Ageing Population which included a number of recommendations. Wales is ahead of its UK counterparts in acknowledging older adults in substance misuse policy or strategy, but we know there is more to be done including tackling ageism and stigma in and among this increasing population.
Confirmed speakers for the conference include:
- Dr Sarah Wadd, University of Bedfordshire Substance Misuse and Ageing Research Team
- Dr Andy Towers, Senior Lecturer in Public Health, Massey University, New Zealand
- Dr Julia Lewis, Consultant Addiction Psychiatrist
- Dr Martin Hyde, Associate Professor, Centre For Innovative Ageing, University of Swansea
- David Liddell OBE, Chief Executive Officer, Scottish Drugs Forum