“Taking the Wheel”, a unique service user-led campaign which aims to empower people with a serious mental illness in Wales to take control of their lives and the services they receive was launched yesterday at a special Seminar in Builth Wells.
The Seminar was facilitated by people with lived experience of serious mental illness and was considered a great success by those who attended.
Service-user led organisations Hafal and MDF the Bipolar Organisation Cymru will work in partnership with the Mental Health Foundation to support the campaign which will empower people with serious mental illness to:
• Take the driving seat in managing their own recovery from serious mental illness.
• Make use of their new rights under the Mental Health (Wales) Measure.
• Make choices about the care and treatment they receive – and who provides it.
• Develop and manage services themselves.
• Engage with the providers of mental health services so that they can get involved in planning and commissioning mental health services.
For more information on “Taking the Wheel” please visit: http://www.hafal.org/hafal/taking-the-wheel.php
Pictures from the Seminar can be seen here: http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Hafal/131232186903160