Cardiff andthe Vale University Health Board is calling for artists and makers to submitwork for the New Adult Mental Health Unit (AMHU) being built at UniversityHospital Llandough. Artworks submittedare selected by a panel of people, qualified to assess the suitability of thework for display in the AMHU in context of the collection as a whole.
TheAMHU artcollection must work within AMHU healthcare space, in public or private areas.It should be uplifting, contributing to a calm and interesting environment,encouraging recovery and hope. Thecollection will reflect the diversity of people who use mental health services.
The theme ofthe Art Collection is Nature. Wards willbe named after trees, with tree symbols, enabling easier way finding.
All submissionsmust meet the criteria below, to be considered. The final decisions will bemade by the Project Coordinator, with advice from the panel.
Who can tosubmit work?
Amateur andprofessional artists and makers, students, community groups, group work projects,individuals or organisations may donate work from other artists.
• Artwork to be uplifting, in content, composition, colour and/oruse of materials.
• Sinister imagery should be avoided
• Heavy use of dark colours such as red or black is not appropriate
• Birds should not be included in artwork
• Faces and eyes should not feature in work
Artwork mustbe original, can be traditional, painted, applied, printed, photographic,abstract, or a mixture of media or techniques, 2 D or 3 D.
The AMHU isa place of specialist care, the following safety factors apply:
• Works on canvas, textiles, sculptures or mixed media work will beflame retardant.
• Glass will not be used for framing
• No sharp edges or ligature points
• Materials will be firmly fixed to surfaces so cannot be broken-offeasily.
A restrictedbudget has been allocated to buying work and for group work. Please submit proposals with costs
Thecollection is programmed for completion by December 2015, however wewill look to close the period for considering proposals in May 2015 ifenough work has been submitted before that date we reserve the right to refusefurther submissions.
Informationabout the AMHU arts collection, with details of artists and work, will bepublicised when the unit opens in 2016.
Furtherinformation, guidance and proposal forms for artwork, group works or largescale work are available from: Simone Joslyn: Project Coordinator: 02920336581 email@example.com